The student and family handbook for 2017-2018 has been approved by the Board and is not visible on our website, under Schoolwide Info —> Handbooks and Policies
or by clicking here.
Updates this year include:
Danville school believes that personal expression is a key component of our students learning to be themselves, advocate for themselves, and feel comfortable in their learning environment.
Allowable Dress & Grooming
- Students must wear clothing including both a shirt with pants or skirt, or the equivalent and shoes.
- Shirts and dresses must have fabric in the front and on the sides.
- Clothing must cover undergarments, waistbands and bra straps excluded.
- Fabric covering all private parts must not be see through.
Non-Allowable Dress & Grooming
- Clothing may not depict, advertise or advocate the use of alcohol, tobacco, marijuana or other controlled substances.
- Clothing may not depict pornography, nudity or sexual acts.
- Clothing may not use or depict hate speech targeting groups based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious affiliation or any other protected groups.
- Clothing, including gang identifiers, must not threaten the health or safety of any other student or staff.
- If the student’s attire or grooming threatens the health or safety of any other person, then discipline for dress or grooming violations should be consistent with discipline policies for similar violations.
- Students may not wear clothing which identifies them as an exclusive non-school team or sanctioned group and purposefully or inadvertently makes others feels excluded or apart.
- Hats should be removed as students enter the building. Hoodies must allow the student’s face and ears to be visible to staff.
- Face paint and masks are not allowed
- Exemptions to the dress code will be made for religious reasons.
Gender Non-Conforming Students
Danville school complies with the State of Vermont’s Gender Nonconforming Student Policy. It is the policy of the Danville School District to provide a safe, orderly, civil and positive learning environment for all students, regardless of perceived or actual sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Additionally, school staff will respect any requests to use a name and pronoun that corresponds to the student’s gender identity that the student asserts or wishes to assert at school. Students will not be required to obtain a court ordered name and/or gender change or to change their pupil personnel records as a prerequisite to being addressed by the name and pronoun that corresponds to their gender identity.
A transgender student will not be required to use a locker room or restroom that conflicts with the student’s gender identity10.
Any student who expresses a need or desire for increased privacy will be provided with reasonable alternative arrangements. Reasonable alternative arrangements may include the use of a private area, or a separate changing schedule, or use of a single stall restroom. Any alternative arrangement will be provided in a way that protects a student’s ability to keep their transgender status confidential.
In all cases the use of restrooms and locker rooms by transgender students requires schools to consider numerous factors, including, but not limited to: the transgender student’s preference; protecting student privacy; maximizing social integration of the transgender student; minimizing stigmatization of the student; ensuring equal opportunity to participate; the student’s age; and protecting the safety of the students involved.
School Activities As a general rule, in any other circumstances where students are separated by gender in school activities (i.e. overnight field trips), students will be permitted to participate in accordance with their gender identity consistently asserted at school. Activities that may involve the need for accommodations to address student privacy concerns will be addressed on a case-by-case basis considering the factors listed above.
DANVILLE SCHOOL IS IN THE PROCESS OF UPDATING OUR BATHROOM, ACTIVITY AND EVENT POLICIES AND PRACTICES TO COMPLY WITH THIS POLICY.